Uganda Pursues TotalEnergies Project

Uganda has announced that it is going ahead with the oil megaproject planned by TotalEnergies, despite a European Parliament resolution condemning its "human rights violations" against opponents.

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 $*

then 199 $/year

*renews at 199$/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni said Friday that he would go ahead with the planned oil megaproject with French group TotalEnergies despite a European Parliament resolution criticizing its “human rights violations” against opponents.

The project “will continue as stipulated in the contract we have with TotalEnergies and (Chinese oil giant) CNOOC,” Museveni said on Twitter.

“TotalEnergies convinced me of the pipeline idea; if they choose to listen to the European Parliament, we will find another partner to work with,” he added.

“In any case, our oil will be extracted in 2025 as planned. So the people of Uganda need not worry,” he stressed.

Lori Museveni, who has ruled Uganda with an iron fist since 1986, has praised the project in the past, citing in particular the economic benefits for this landlocked country where the majority of the population lives below the poverty line.

Earlier in the day, the Ugandan Parliament had strongly denounced the resolution adopted on Thursday by MEPs and condemning the mega-project.

“These are projects that have been approved by the Parliament of Uganda, the parliament of a sovereign country, and anything that goes against it is an affront to the independence of this house and we cannot take it lightly,” reacted the deputy speaker of parliament, Thomas Tayebwa, in a statement.

In February, TotalEnergies announced a $10 billion investment agreement with Uganda, Tanzania and CNOOC, including the construction of a pipeline of more than 1,400 kilometers linking the Lake Albert oil fields in western Uganda to the Tanzanian coast.

In a non-binding resolution, the European Parliament said it was “extremely concerned about human rights violations” in both countries, citing “arrests, intimidation and judicial harassment of human rights defenders and non-governmental organizations.

Estimating that more than 100,000 people are likely to be displaced along the pipeline route, MEPs called for “adequate compensation for those expropriated”.

In addition, the European Parliament is asking TotalEnergies to delay the project for a year in order to study “the feasibility of an alternative route that better protects the protected and sensitive ecosystems and water resources of Uganda and Tanzania.

Juliette Renaud, Campaigner at Friends of the Earth France, said the resolution sent “a strong political signal against Total’s Tilenga and EACOP projects, whose human, environmental and climate costs are undeniable and simply unacceptable.

TotalEnergies said on Thursday that it was “doing everything possible to make this an exemplary project in terms of transparency, shared prosperity, economic and social progress, sustainable development, environmental awareness and respect for human rights.

Under the waters and on the shores of Lake Albert, a 160 km natural barrier separating Uganda from the Democratic Republic of Congo, lies the equivalent of 6.5 billion barrels of crude oil, of which about 1.4 billion barrels are recoverable in the current state of discovery.

Uganda’s reserves can last between 25 and 30 years with an estimated peak production of 230,000 barrels per day.

Commercial crude oil inventories fell more than expected in the United States, while gasoline demand crossed a key threshold, offering slight support to crude prices.
The United States extends a 30-day reprieve to NIS, controlled by Gazprom, as Serbia seeks to maintain energy security amid pressure on the Russian energy sector.
With net output reaching 384.6 million barrels of oil equivalent, CNOOC Limited continues its expansion, strengthening both domestic and international capacities despite volatile crude oil prices.
The Daenerys oil discovery could increase Talos Energy’s proved reserves by more than 25% and reach 65,000 barrels per day, marking a strategic shift in its Gulf of Mexico portfolio.
The United States will apply 50% tariffs on Indian exports in response to New Delhi’s purchases of Russian oil, further straining trade relations between the two partners.
Rising energy demand is driving investments in petrochemical filtration, a market growing at an average annual rate of 5.9% through 2030.
Chevron has opened talks with Libya’s National Oil Corporation on a possible return to exploration and production after leaving the country in 2010 due to unsuccessful drilling.
The Impact Assessment Agency of Canada opens public consultation on its 2024-2025 draft monitoring report for offshore oil and gas exploratory drilling off Newfoundland and Labrador.
Cenovus Energy announces the acquisition of MEG Energy through a mixed transaction aimed at strengthening its position in oil sands while optimizing cost structure and integrated production.
Vantage Drilling International Ltd. extends the validity of its conditional letter of award until August 29, without changes to the initial terms.
Libya is preparing to host an energy forum in partnership with American companies to boost investment in its oil and gas sectors.
Washington increases pressure on Iran’s oil sector by sanctioning a Greek shipper and its affiliates, accused of facilitating crude exports to Asia despite existing embargoes.
Amid repeated disruptions on the Druzhba pipeline, attributed to Ukrainian strikes, Hungary has requested U.S. support to secure its oil supply.
Norwegian producer Aker BP raises its oil potential forecast for the Omega Alfa well, part of the Yggdrasil project, with estimated resources reaching up to 134 million barrels of oil equivalent.
The gradual restart of BP’s Whiting refinery following severe flooding is driving price and logistics adjustments across several Midwestern U.S. states.
Bruno Moretti, current special secretary to the presidency, is in pole position to lead Petrobras’ board of directors after Pietro Mendes’ resignation for a regulatory role.
Next Bridge Hydrocarbons completes a $6 million private debt raise to support its involvement in the Panther project while restructuring part of its existing debt.
Sinopec Shanghai Petrochemical reported a net loss in the first half of 2025, impacted by reduced demand for fuels and chemical products, as well as declining sales volumes.
Zener International Holding takes over Petrogal’s assets in Guinea-Bissau, backed by a $24 million structured financing deal arranged with support from Ecobank and the West African Development Bank.
Petrobras board chairman Pietro Mendes resigned after his appointment to lead the National Petroleum Agency, confirmed by the Senate.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: $99 for the 1styear year, then $ 199/year.