popular articles

EPA carbon plan: impossible to adapt warns IEE

U.S. power plant owners are challenging the Biden administration's plan to reduce carbon emissions because of the use of expensive technologies that have not been proven on a large scale, according to EEI. This resistance poses a challenge to the administration's goal of achieving zero net emissions in the electricity sector by 2035.
plan carbone de l'EPA

Please share:

U.S. power plant owners warned the Biden administration on Tuesday that its sweeping plan to reduce carbon emissions from the electricity sector was unworkable. In their view, it relies too heavily on expensive technologies that have yet to prove themselves on a large scale.

IEE resistance to EPA’s carbon plan vision: Challenges for the US climate agenda

The Edison Electric Institute (EEI), one of the world’s leading utility trade groups, has asked the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to review proposed standards for power plants. They depend on the widespread commercial availability of carbon capture and storage (CCS) and low-emission green hydrogen, adding that the agency’s vision was “not legally or technically sound”.

“The utilities are not confident that the new technologies designated by the EPA to serve as the basis for the proposed standards for new and existing fossil-fired generation will meet the performance and cost requirements within the EPA’s time frame,” the EEI said in a public comment released Tuesday, on the agency’s deadline for receiving information.

Resistance from IEE and other energy-related groups represents a potentially significant challenge to the administration’s climate agenda. U.S. President Joe Biden has set the goal of reducing net emissions from the electricity sector to zero by 2035. It is responsible for a quarter of the country’s greenhouse gases. This objective is at the heart of Washington’s commitment to an international agreement to combat global climate change. It aims to halve US greenhouse gas production by 2030.

Zero emissions: The burning issues in the EPA’s carbon plan for power plants

In May, the EPA proposed a plan that would limit for the first time the amount of carbon dioxide that power plants can emit, following the judicial overturning of previous efforts. West Virginia, which led a lawsuit against the Obama-era Clean Power Plan, also said it and 20 other states opposed the rule because the standards would leave coal-fired plant operators no choice but to shut down.

The proposed limits for new and existing power plants assume the existence of CO2 capture and storage technology that can siphon CO2 from a power plant stack before it reaches the atmosphere, or the use of hydrogen as a fuel. The EPA said that last year’s passage of the Inflation Reduction Act, which subsidizes these technologies, makes them cost-effective and viable. Environmental groups Clean Air Task Force and Natural Resources Defense Council said the proposal “provides generous lead times for implementation and compliance, and would not cause reliability problems if finalized”.

Industry is particularly concerned about the standards proposed for existing natural gas power plants, believing that they would find it difficult to adapt these facilities to CCS or hydrogen due to space constraints and other limitations. PJM Interconnection, the largest power grid operator in the USA, along with three other operators serving a total of 154 million customers, have expressed concern about a scenario where the numerous retirements of dispatchable generation would not be compensated in time by the widespread commercialization of the necessary technologies.

Cracks in the EPA’s carbon plan: Challenges and concerns from players in the electricity industry

In a joint statement, the grid operators urged the EPA not to adopt the plan until it had examined in detail its impact on power grid reliability, highlighting its “chilling effect” on investments to maintain existing dispatchable generation units. The EPA’s plan would require existing large gas-fired power plants that operate at least 50% of the time to install a carbon capture system by 2035, or to use 30% hydrogen by 2032. The IEE asked the agency to “repropose or significantly supplement” the proposed rules for existing gas-fired power plants.

One investor-owned utility, Baltimore-based Constellation (CEG.O), distanced itself from the IEE’s position and said it supported the EPA’s proposed guidelines. However, the company has made it clear that it is working to improve the rule. The National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, which represents 900 member-owned utilities, asked the EPA to withdraw the proposed rule, saying it would compromise reliability and affordability, said CEO Jim Matheson.

Unions, the United Mine Workers of America and the International Brotherhood of Electricity Workers, also called on the EPA to review the settlement and criticized its reliance on CSC, saying it put jobs at risk. The EPA had drawn up the proposal taking into account the constraints imposed by the Supreme Court the previous year, following its ruling that the Obama-era Clean Power plan had overstepped the mark in forcing a system-wide transition from fossil fuels to renewables.

Register free of charge for uninterrupted access.

Publicite

Recently published in

The National Commission for Public Debate opens a three-month consultation in Fos-sur-Mer on the industrial future of this strategic zone, ahead of state decisions on 40 projects with major economic and energy implications.
François Bayrou souhaite engager un débat sans vote au Parlement sur la programmation énergétique 2025-2035, alors que le projet alimente les tensions politiques et que le Rassemblement national menace de déposer une motion de censure.
François Bayrou souhaite engager un débat sans vote au Parlement sur la programmation énergétique 2025-2035, alors que le projet alimente les tensions politiques et que le Rassemblement national menace de déposer une motion de censure.
The European Court of Auditors warns of the urgency of massive investments in the Union’s ageing power grids, hampered by administrative delays and inadequate planning.
The European Court of Auditors warns of the urgency of massive investments in the Union’s ageing power grids, hampered by administrative delays and inadequate planning.
Several lawmakers and former energy executives are demanding a moratorium on PPE3, criticising a plan they view as disconnected from current economic and geopolitical realities.
Several lawmakers and former energy executives are demanding a moratorium on PPE3, criticising a plan they view as disconnected from current economic and geopolitical realities.
The head of Framatome will be heard on 30 April by both chambers to validate his nomination to lead EDF, following the non-renewal of Luc Rémont by the executive.
Following a series of major electricity outages on the island of Upolu, the Samoan government has declared a state of emergency to prioritise essential services and mobilise foreign aid.
Following a series of major electricity outages on the island of Upolu, the Samoan government has declared a state of emergency to prioritise essential services and mobilise foreign aid.
The Minister of Industry and Energy expressed openness to a debate and a vote on the 2025–2035 energy strategy, amid criticism from opposition parties over the lack of democratic consultation.
The Minister of Industry and Energy expressed openness to a debate and a vote on the 2025–2035 energy strategy, amid criticism from opposition parties over the lack of democratic consultation.
France’s Ministry of Industry and Energy postpones the 2025 energy voucher to November, citing delayed budget approval and announcing revised allocation rules.
France’s Ministry of Industry and Energy postpones the 2025 energy voucher to November, citing delayed budget approval and announcing revised allocation rules.
France’s decarbonisation pace slowed significantly in 2024, according to Citepa, putting its 2030 climate targets at risk.
Luc Rémont was dismissed as head of EDF by the French executive due to disagreements over industrial contract strategy and financing of the EPR2 nuclear programme.
Luc Rémont was dismissed as head of EDF by the French executive due to disagreements over industrial contract strategy and financing of the EPR2 nuclear programme.
Just Stop Oil will end its high-profile actions after one of its core demands was integrated into the British government's energy policy.
Just Stop Oil will end its high-profile actions after one of its core demands was integrated into the British government's energy policy.
The surge in solar production and the slow upgrade of electricity infrastructure are blocking thousands of projects in the Netherlands, affecting energy security and consumer costs.
The surge in solar production and the slow upgrade of electricity infrastructure are blocking thousands of projects in the Netherlands, affecting energy security and consumer costs.
The development of French power grids is facing a structural shortage of skilled labour, despite €200bn in projected investments by 2040.
Luc Rémont's departure exposes ongoing disagreements between EDF and the French State over electricity pricing for industry and the financing terms of the nuclear programme.
Luc Rémont's departure exposes ongoing disagreements between EDF and the French State over electricity pricing for industry and the financing terms of the nuclear programme.
The European Investment Bank approves a final tranche of PLN1.7bn for Orlen to modernise electricity distribution infrastructure in Poland via its subsidiary Energa Operator.
The European Investment Bank approves a final tranche of PLN1.7bn for Orlen to modernise electricity distribution infrastructure in Poland via its subsidiary Energa Operator.
Luc Rémont is replaced as head of EDF as French manufacturers criticise a pricing strategy seen as incompatible with national industrial competitiveness.
Luc Rémont is replaced as head of EDF as French manufacturers criticise a pricing strategy seen as incompatible with national industrial competitiveness.
Luc Rémont will not be reappointed as Chairman of Électricité de France, two years after his nomination, despite record profits in 2024 and the revival of the nuclear fleet.
The French government has appointed Bernard Fontana to lead EDF, relying on his experience in nuclear energy and energy-intensive industries, amid strategic restructuring and rising tariff pressures.
The French government has appointed Bernard Fontana to lead EDF, relying on his experience in nuclear energy and energy-intensive industries, amid strategic restructuring and rising tariff pressures.
Kazakhmys, the leading copper producer in Kazakhstan, partially suspends its operations after the death of eight workers. The company is conducting an inspection of its facilities to ensure operational safety.
Kazakhmys, the leading copper producer in Kazakhstan, partially suspends its operations after the death of eight workers. The company is conducting an inspection of its facilities to ensure operational safety.
The European Southern Observatory (ESO) warns of the potentially devastating consequences of a power plant project near its telescopes in the Atacama Desert, highlighting irreversible light pollution.
The European Southern Observatory (ESO) warns of the potentially devastating consequences of a power plant project near its telescopes in the Atacama Desert, highlighting irreversible light pollution.
In January 2025, Italy recorded a trade deficit of €264 million, largely attributed to the rising energy costs, according to the National Institute of Statistics (Istat).
The National Federation of Mines and Energy of the General Confederation of Labour (FNME-CGT) has elected Fabrice Coudour as secretary general. He succeeds Sébastien Ménesplier and inherits strategic issues, including the opening of hydropower concessions to competition.
The National Federation of Mines and Energy of the General Confederation of Labour (FNME-CGT) has elected Fabrice Coudour as secretary general. He succeeds Sébastien Ménesplier and inherits strategic issues, including the opening of hydropower concessions to competition.
Nigerien authorities have ordered the expulsion of three Chinese executives from oil companies and shut down a hotel owned by a Chinese company. This decision is part of a policy aimed at strengthening national control over the country’s energy resources.
Nigerien authorities have ordered the expulsion of three Chinese executives from oil companies and shut down a hotel owned by a Chinese company. This decision is part of a policy aimed at strengthening national control over the country’s energy resources.
The French government has issued a decree expanding the use of treated wastewater to industrial and nuclear sectors, aiming to reduce pressure on water resources.
The French government has issued a decree expanding the use of treated wastewater to industrial and nuclear sectors, aiming to reduce pressure on water resources.

Advertising