China’s Sinopec becomes shareholder of a mega gas project in Qatar

Sinopec becomes the first Asian shareholder in Qatar's North Field East project, the world's largest gas field, by acquiring a 5% stake. The project aims to increase Qatar's annual liquefied natural gas (LNG) production and strengthens relations between China and the Gulf country.

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 €*

then 199 €/year

*renews at 199€/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

Chinese oil giant Sinopec on Wednesday became the first Asian shareholder in Qatar’s North Field East (NFE) project, the world’s largest gas field, the emirate’s national oil company announced.
China is already the largest customer of Qatar ‘s liquefied natural gas (LNG) and one of the world’s largest importers of this energy. “Qatar Energy will transfer to Sinopec a 5% share in the equivalent of an NFE train (all the units of a plant ensuring the processing and liquefaction of gas, editor’s note) with a capacity of 8 million tons per year,” the state-owned company said in a statement.
The North Field East project, estimated at $28.75 billion, aims to enable the Gulf country to increase its annual LNG production from 77 million tons per year to 110 million by 2027. It is part of the expansion project of the offshore North Field, the largest natural gas field in the world that Qatar shares with Iran.
The entry of Sinopec “does not affect the participation of other shareholders”, the statement said without giving the amount of the agreement. The Chinese company joins France’s TotalEnergies, Britain’s Shell, Italy’s ENI and U.S.-based ConocoPhillips, which have larger shares in the project.
The agreement was signed on Wednesday in Doha between the CEO of QatarEnergy and Minister of Energy, Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi, and the chairman of Sinopec, Ma Yong-sheng. This is an “important agreement” marking a new “milestone” in relations between the two countries, said Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi.
QatarEnergy and Sionopec signed a 27-year supply contract last year, billed as the longest ever in the industry. According to the president of Sinopec, this participation “will strengthen the security, stability and reliability of the supply of clean energy”. “I hope the two companies will continue to explore new opportunities for cooperation in the field of LNG,” he added.
First suspect linked to the Nord Stream pipeline explosions, a Ukrainian citizen challenged by Berlin opposes his judicial transfer from Italy.
Ukrainian drones targeted a nuclear power plant and a Russian oil terminal, increasing pressure on diplomatic talks as Moscow and Kyiv accuse each other of blocking any prospect of negotiation.
A Ukrainian national suspected of coordinating the Nord Stream pipeline sabotage has been apprehended in Italy, reigniting a judicial case with significant geopolitical implications across Europe.
Russia continues hydrocarbon deliveries to India and explores new outlets for liquefied natural gas, amid escalating trade tensions with the United States.
Azerbaijani energy infrastructure targeted in Ukraine raises concerns over the security of gas flows between Baku and Kyiv, just as a new supply agreement has been signed.
The suspension of 1,400 MW of electricity supplied by Iran to Iraq puts pressure on the Iraqi grid, while Tehran records a record 77 GW demand and must balance domestic consumption with regional obligations.
Beijing opposes the possible return of European trio sanctions against Iran, as the nuclear deal deadline approaches and diplomatic tensions rise around Tehran.
The United States plans to collaborate with Pakistan on critical minerals and hydrocarbons, exploring joint ventures and projects in strategic areas such as Balochistan.
Around 80 Russian technical standards for oil and gas have been internationally validated, notably by the United Arab Emirates, Algeria and Oman, according to the Institute of Oil and Gas Technological Initiatives.
Baghdad and Damascus intensify discussions to reactivate the 850 km pipeline closed since 2003, offering a Mediterranean alternative amid regional tensions and export blockages.
The two countries end 37 years of conflict with a 43-kilometer corridor under American control for 99 years. The infrastructure will transport 50 million tons of goods annually by 2030.
A senior official from the UN agency begins technical discussions with Iran on Monday, the first meeting since June strikes on Iranian nuclear sites.
A free trade agreement between Indonesia and the Eurasian Economic Union is set to be signed in December, aiming to reduce tariffs on $3 bn worth of trade and boost bilateral commerce in the coming years.
The visit of India's national security adviser to Moscow comes as the United States threatens to raise tariffs on New Delhi due to India’s continued purchases of Russian oil.
Brussels freezes its retaliatory measures for six months as July 27 deal imposes 15% duties on European exports.
Discussions between Tehran and Baghdad on export volumes and an $11 billion debt reveal the complexities of energy dependence under U.S. sanctions.
Facing US secondary sanctions threats, Indian refiners slow Russian crude purchases while exploring costly alternatives, revealing complex energy security challenges.
The 50% tariffs push Brasília toward accelerated commercial integration with Beijing and Brussels, reshaping regional economic balances.
Washington imposes massive duties citing Bolsonaro prosecution while exempting strategic sectors vital to US industry.
Sanctions imposed on August 1 accelerate the reconfiguration of Indo-Pacific trade flows, with Vietnam, Bangladesh and Indonesia emerging as principal beneficiaries.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: €99 for the 1styear year, then € 199/year.