Germany: Rosneft’s appeal against the State’s trusteeship of its activities

The Russian oil giant Rosneft has filed a lawsuit against the German state after its activities were placed under supervision.

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 €*

then 199 €/year

*renews at 199€/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

Russian oil giant Rosneft has filed a lawsuit against the German state after Berlin placed its activities under supervision in September amid an energy dispute with Moscow, its lawyers said Friday.

The group “has filed a petition (…) against the Ministry of Economy and Climate, due to the forced trusteeship of its activities in Germany,” said on the social network Linkedin the Malmendier firm, which represents the company.

According to him, the “legal requirements are not met”, because Rosneft “has always fulfilled its commitments in Germany (…) despite the conflict in Ukraine”.

Contacted by AFP, the Federal Administrative Court in Leipzig (east), seized by Rosneft, confirmed having “received a request” which is currently “being processed”.

Rosneft’s subsidiaries in Germany, which account for 12% of the country’s oil refining capacity, were placed under forced “trust administration” in early September.

In particular, the German government has taken control of the PCK refinery in Schwedt, which supplies the capital Berlin, its airport and the entire surrounding region with fuel.

The objective of the maneuver is to ensure “security of supply” in the midst of the energy standoff with Moscow over the war in Ukraine.

Berlin is committed to ending Russian oil imports by the end of the year, and must ensure that the refinery can continue production from other sources.

Until now, the Schwedt refinery has only processed Russian oil via the Druzhba (“Friendship” in Russian) pipeline.

For the Russian group, a trusteeship “is not an appropriate way” to achieve these goals.

Rosneft says it is ready to “organize alternative deliveries” in line with Berlin’s decision to abandon Russian oil. “Rosneft’s case is different from Gazprom,” the company’s lawyers add.

The Russian group Gazprom, which supplied 55% of the gas imported by Germany before the conflict in Ukraine, has gradually reduced, before stopping its deliveries completely in early September.

Berlin had already taken control in early April of the company’s former German subsidiary, Gazprom Germania, which owned numerous storage and transport infrastructures in the country.

Brazilian authorities have launched a large-scale operation targeting a money laundering system linked to the fuel sector, involving investment funds, fintechs, and more than 1,000 service stations across the country.
A national study by the Davies Group reveals widespread American support for the simultaneous development of both renewable and fossil energy sources, with strong approval for natural gas and solar energy.
The South Korean government compels ten petrochemical groups to cut up to 3.7 million tons of naphtha cracking per year, tying financial and tax support to swift and documented restructuring measures.
The U.S. Department of Energy has extended until November the emergency measures aimed at ensuring the stability of Puerto Rico’s power grid against overload risks and recurring outages.
Under threat of increased U.S. tariffs, New Delhi is accelerating its energy independence strategy to reduce reliance on imports, particularly Russian oil.
With a new $800 million investment agreement, Tsingshan expands the Manhize steel plant and generates an energy demand of more than 500 MW, forcing Zimbabwe to accelerate its electricity strategy.
U.S. electric storage capacity will surge 68% this year according to Cleanview, largely offsetting the slowdown in solar and wind projects under the Trump administration.
A nationwide blackout left Iraq without electricity for several hours, affecting almost the entire country due to record consumption linked to an extreme heatwave.
Washington launches antidumping procedures against three Asian countries. Margins up to 190% identified. Final decisions expected April 2026 with major supply chain impacts.
Revenues generated by oil and gas in Russia recorded a significant decrease in July, putting direct pressure on the country’s budget balance according to official figures.
U.S. electricity consumption reached unprecedented levels in the last week of July, driven by a heatwave and the growth of industrial activity.
The New York Power Authority targets nearly 7GW of capacity with a plan featuring 20 renewable projects and 156 storage initiatives, marking a new phase for public investment in the State.
French Guiana plans to achieve a fully decarbonised power mix by 2027, driven by the construction of a biomass plant and expansion of renewable energy on its territory.
The progress of national targets for renewable energy remains marginal, with only a 2% increase since COP28, threatening the achievement of the tripling of capacity by 2030 and impacting energy security.
A Department of Energy report states that US actions on greenhouse gases would have a limited global impact, while highlighting a gap between perceptions and the economic realities of global warming.
Investments in renewable energy across the Middle East and North Africa are expected to reach USD59.9 bn by 2030, fuelled by national strategies, the rise of solar, green hydrogen, and new regional industrial projects.
Global electricity demand is projected to grow steadily through 2026, driven by industrial expansion, data centres, electric mobility and air conditioning, with increasing contributions from renewables, natural gas and nuclear power.
Kenya registers a historic record in electricity consumption, driven by industrial growth and a strong contribution from geothermal and hydropower plants operated by Kenya Electricity Generating Company PLC.
Final energy consumption in the European industrial sector dropped by 5% in 2023, reaching a level not seen in three decades, with renewables taking a growing role in certain key segments.
Réseau de transport d’électricité is planning a long-term modernisation of its infrastructure. A national public debate will begin on September 4 to address implementation methods, challenges and conditions.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: €99 for the 1styear year, then € 199/year.