popular articles

Towards a favourable outcome to South Africa’s energy crisis?

Please share:

South Africa, which has experienced record power cuts in recent months, will “survive” the winter season, thanks to a considerable improvement in production, Electricity Minister Kgosientsho Ramokgopa said on Saturday. He warned last month that the winter would be “incredibly difficult”, but was more optimistic on Saturday, announcing an increase in average electricity production to 60%, compared with 48% a few weeks ago.

South Africa sees a glimmer of hope: Improved electricity crisis looms despite persistent challenges

 

“We are more than confident in our ability to survive the winter,” “We will not experience the worst-case scenario we had predicted and we will continue to see improvement,” the minister told reporters at a meeting of the African National Congress (ANC) national executive committee, held in a hotel east of Johannesburg.

The continent’s leading industrial power is in the grip of a serious electricity crisis, which has worsened since last year. For months now, South Africa’s 60 million inhabitants have hardly experienced a day without a power cut. State-owned Eskom supplies the vast majority of electricity.

But weighed down by dilapidated coal-fired power plants and saddled with debt after years of corruption under President Jacob Zuma (2009-2018), the company is unable to meet demand and is imposing record scheduled blackouts. In recent weeks, these cuts have been reduced from 12 hours a day to around two hours a day.

“We’re managing to maintain these levels of efficiency,” said the Minister.

A step towards the end of cutbacks and an opportunity for economic growth

He attributes this improvement to Eskom’s mobilization of some of the best production experts and their deployment in the least efficient power plants, whose output “is now exceeding our expectations”. At the height of winter, peak demand, forecast at 34,000 megawatts, was reduced to 30,000 megawatts, he was pleased to report. The power cuts forced many South Africans, who had become accustomed to them, to find alternative sources of energy, such as installing solar panels in their homes.

“I am convinced that load shedding will soon be behind us and that we will start working on creating additional reserve margins to enable the economy to grow at the desired level.”

A crucial issue less than a year before general elections in which the ANC risks losing its majority for the first time in its history. In May, the central bank forecast that GDP would grow by just 0.3% this year, and the power cuts alone would cost the country at least two percentage points of growth.

Register free of charge for uninterrupted access.

Publicite

Recently published in

The European Investment Bank is funding a €732 mn expansion plan to modernise and stabilise the electricity network in the Ostsachsen region by 2027.
The European Commission is launching a large-scale call for projects to finance priority energy infrastructure between Member States and neighbouring countries, with a maximum budget of €600mn from the CEF Energy programme.
The European Commission is launching a large-scale call for projects to finance priority energy infrastructure between Member States and neighbouring countries, with a maximum budget of €600mn from the CEF Energy programme.
The National Commission for Public Debate opens a three-month consultation in Fos-sur-Mer on the industrial future of this strategic zone, ahead of state decisions on 40 projects with major economic and energy implications.
The National Commission for Public Debate opens a three-month consultation in Fos-sur-Mer on the industrial future of this strategic zone, ahead of state decisions on 40 projects with major economic and energy implications.
François Bayrou souhaite engager un débat sans vote au Parlement sur la programmation énergétique 2025-2035, alors que le projet alimente les tensions politiques et que le Rassemblement national menace de déposer une motion de censure.
François Bayrou souhaite engager un débat sans vote au Parlement sur la programmation énergétique 2025-2035, alors que le projet alimente les tensions politiques et que le Rassemblement national menace de déposer une motion de censure.
The European Court of Auditors warns of the urgency of massive investments in the Union’s ageing power grids, hampered by administrative delays and inadequate planning.
Several lawmakers and former energy executives are demanding a moratorium on PPE3, criticising a plan they view as disconnected from current economic and geopolitical realities.
Several lawmakers and former energy executives are demanding a moratorium on PPE3, criticising a plan they view as disconnected from current economic and geopolitical realities.
The head of Framatome will be heard on 30 April by both chambers to validate his nomination to lead EDF, following the non-renewal of Luc Rémont by the executive.
The head of Framatome will be heard on 30 April by both chambers to validate his nomination to lead EDF, following the non-renewal of Luc Rémont by the executive.
Following a series of major electricity outages on the island of Upolu, the Samoan government has declared a state of emergency to prioritise essential services and mobilise foreign aid.
Following a series of major electricity outages on the island of Upolu, the Samoan government has declared a state of emergency to prioritise essential services and mobilise foreign aid.
The Minister of Industry and Energy expressed openness to a debate and a vote on the 2025–2035 energy strategy, amid criticism from opposition parties over the lack of democratic consultation.
France’s Ministry of Industry and Energy postpones the 2025 energy voucher to November, citing delayed budget approval and announcing revised allocation rules.
France’s Ministry of Industry and Energy postpones the 2025 energy voucher to November, citing delayed budget approval and announcing revised allocation rules.
France’s decarbonisation pace slowed significantly in 2024, according to Citepa, putting its 2030 climate targets at risk.
France’s decarbonisation pace slowed significantly in 2024, according to Citepa, putting its 2030 climate targets at risk.
Luc Rémont was dismissed as head of EDF by the French executive due to disagreements over industrial contract strategy and financing of the EPR2 nuclear programme.
Luc Rémont was dismissed as head of EDF by the French executive due to disagreements over industrial contract strategy and financing of the EPR2 nuclear programme.
Just Stop Oil will end its high-profile actions after one of its core demands was integrated into the British government's energy policy.
The surge in solar production and the slow upgrade of electricity infrastructure are blocking thousands of projects in the Netherlands, affecting energy security and consumer costs.
The surge in solar production and the slow upgrade of electricity infrastructure are blocking thousands of projects in the Netherlands, affecting energy security and consumer costs.
The development of French power grids is facing a structural shortage of skilled labour, despite €200bn in projected investments by 2040.
The development of French power grids is facing a structural shortage of skilled labour, despite €200bn in projected investments by 2040.
Luc Rémont's departure exposes ongoing disagreements between EDF and the French State over electricity pricing for industry and the financing terms of the nuclear programme.
Luc Rémont's departure exposes ongoing disagreements between EDF and the French State over electricity pricing for industry and the financing terms of the nuclear programme.
The European Investment Bank approves a final tranche of PLN1.7bn for Orlen to modernise electricity distribution infrastructure in Poland via its subsidiary Energa Operator.
Luc Rémont is replaced as head of EDF as French manufacturers criticise a pricing strategy seen as incompatible with national industrial competitiveness.
Luc Rémont is replaced as head of EDF as French manufacturers criticise a pricing strategy seen as incompatible with national industrial competitiveness.
Luc Rémont will not be reappointed as Chairman of Électricité de France, two years after his nomination, despite record profits in 2024 and the revival of the nuclear fleet.
Luc Rémont will not be reappointed as Chairman of Électricité de France, two years after his nomination, despite record profits in 2024 and the revival of the nuclear fleet.
The French government has appointed Bernard Fontana to lead EDF, relying on his experience in nuclear energy and energy-intensive industries, amid strategic restructuring and rising tariff pressures.
The French government has appointed Bernard Fontana to lead EDF, relying on his experience in nuclear energy and energy-intensive industries, amid strategic restructuring and rising tariff pressures.
The European Southern Observatory (ESO) warns of the potentially devastating consequences of a power plant project near its telescopes in the Atacama Desert, highlighting irreversible light pollution.
The recent elections in Greenland resulted in a victory for the Demokraatit party, which advocates gradual independence from Denmark and increased support for the exploitation of natural resources, prioritizing the mining and energy sectors. This election comes amid heightened international tensions, notably due to proposals by Donald Trump to annex the territory.
The recent elections in Greenland resulted in a victory for the Demokraatit party, which advocates gradual independence from Denmark and increased support for the exploitation of natural resources, prioritizing the mining and energy sectors. This election comes amid heightened international tensions, notably due to proposals by Donald Trump to annex the territory.
In January 2025, Italy recorded a trade deficit of €264 million, largely attributed to the rising energy costs, according to the National Institute of Statistics (Istat).
In January 2025, Italy recorded a trade deficit of €264 million, largely attributed to the rising energy costs, according to the National Institute of Statistics (Istat).
The National Federation of Mines and Energy of the General Confederation of Labour (FNME-CGT) has elected Fabrice Coudour as secretary general. He succeeds Sébastien Ménesplier and inherits strategic issues, including the opening of hydropower concessions to competition.
The National Federation of Mines and Energy of the General Confederation of Labour (FNME-CGT) has elected Fabrice Coudour as secretary general. He succeeds Sébastien Ménesplier and inherits strategic issues, including the opening of hydropower concessions to competition.

Advertising