Putin defends cuts in oil production to maintain prices

Russian President Vladimir Putin defended oil production cuts, saying they were necessary to keep prices at a certain level. However, these statements run counter to the assurances of other OPEC+ members, prompting accusations of interference in the global oil market.

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 $*

then 199 $/year

*renews at 199$/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday that oil production cuts were necessary to maintain a certain price level, contradicting assurances from other OPEC+ group leaders that they were not seeking to manage the market in this way. The United States and Europe have accused Russia of using oil as a weapon to contain the West’s intention to weaken Moscow’s military campaign in Ukraine. In return, Moscow accuses the West of using the dollar and financial systems such as the SWIFT international payment mechanism in retaliation for the dispatch of Russian troops to Ukraine in February 2022.

Speaking at a televised government meeting, Putin said that the situation on the world oil market was, on the whole, “absolutely stable” thanks to the production cuts maintained by Russia to support prices. He also affirmed that Russia had reduced its production to the “required level”. Putin added: “But all our actions, including those linked to voluntary production cuts, are precisely linked to the need to maintain a certain price environment on world markets, in dialogue and contact with our OPEC+ partners.”

Saudi Arabia, leader of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), and other OPEC members have repeatedly stated that they are not targeting a specific price for oil, something that major fuel consumers such as the USA have accused the group of trying to do illegally. At the same time, some OPEC observers have said that the organization needs higher oil prices because of rising inflation.

Reduction of 500,000 barrels per day

On April 2, Russia announced that it would extend an oil production cut of 500,000 barrels per day (bpd) – around 5% of its crude oil output – until the end of the year, compared with February levels. Major OPEC members announced reductions on the same day. “We are reducing production, but it is nevertheless at the required level,” said Putin. Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak, on a visit to Iran, said later on Wednesday that Russia had met its targets for cutting oil production by 500,000 bpd this month.

Last week, oil price indices fell for the fourth consecutive week, the longest string of weekly declines since September 2022, on fears of a US recession and the risks of a historic default on government debt in early June. The price of Russian Urals blend, denominated in rubles, fell 14% below the profitability level forecast for this year’s federal budget in early May, according to Reuters calculations, exacerbating an already huge deficit in state coffers.

Commercial crude oil inventories fell more than expected in the United States, while gasoline demand crossed a key threshold, offering slight support to crude prices.
The United States extends a 30-day reprieve to NIS, controlled by Gazprom, as Serbia seeks to maintain energy security amid pressure on the Russian energy sector.
With net output reaching 384.6 million barrels of oil equivalent, CNOOC Limited continues its expansion, strengthening both domestic and international capacities despite volatile crude oil prices.
The Daenerys oil discovery could increase Talos Energy’s proved reserves by more than 25% and reach 65,000 barrels per day, marking a strategic shift in its Gulf of Mexico portfolio.
The United States will apply 50% tariffs on Indian exports in response to New Delhi’s purchases of Russian oil, further straining trade relations between the two partners.
Rising energy demand is driving investments in petrochemical filtration, a market growing at an average annual rate of 5.9% through 2030.
Chevron has opened talks with Libya’s National Oil Corporation on a possible return to exploration and production after leaving the country in 2010 due to unsuccessful drilling.
The Impact Assessment Agency of Canada opens public consultation on its 2024-2025 draft monitoring report for offshore oil and gas exploratory drilling off Newfoundland and Labrador.
Cenovus Energy announces the acquisition of MEG Energy through a mixed transaction aimed at strengthening its position in oil sands while optimizing cost structure and integrated production.
Vantage Drilling International Ltd. extends the validity of its conditional letter of award until August 29, without changes to the initial terms.
Libya is preparing to host an energy forum in partnership with American companies to boost investment in its oil and gas sectors.
Washington increases pressure on Iran’s oil sector by sanctioning a Greek shipper and its affiliates, accused of facilitating crude exports to Asia despite existing embargoes.
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management formalizes a strategic environmental review, setting the framework for 30 oil sales in the Gulf of America by 2040, in line with a new federal law and current executive directives.
Amid repeated disruptions on the Druzhba pipeline, attributed to Ukrainian strikes, Hungary has requested U.S. support to secure its oil supply.
Norwegian producer Aker BP raises its oil potential forecast for the Omega Alfa well, part of the Yggdrasil project, with estimated resources reaching up to 134 million barrels of oil equivalent.
The gradual restart of BP’s Whiting refinery following severe flooding is driving price and logistics adjustments across several Midwestern U.S. states.
Bruno Moretti, current special secretary to the presidency, is in pole position to lead Petrobras’ board of directors after Pietro Mendes’ resignation for a regulatory role.
Next Bridge Hydrocarbons completes a $6 million private debt raise to support its involvement in the Panther project while restructuring part of its existing debt.
Sinopec Shanghai Petrochemical reported a net loss in the first half of 2025, impacted by reduced demand for fuels and chemical products, as well as declining sales volumes.
Zener International Holding takes over Petrogal’s assets in Guinea-Bissau, backed by a $24 million structured financing deal arranged with support from Ecobank and the West African Development Bank.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: $99 for the 1styear year, then $ 199/year.