Oil: Venezuelan President Maduro calls for full lifting of sanctions

Nicolas Maduro welcomed as a step in the "right direction" the authorization given by the United States to Chevron to operate in Venezuela.

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 $*

then 199 $/year

*renews at 199$/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro welcomed as a step in the “right direction” the authorization given by the United States to the energy giant Chevron to operate in Venezuela despite the sanctions, but pleaded for the complete lifting of financial restrictions imposed on his country.

The licenses that Washington has granted to Chevron and other companies “are undoubtedly going in the right direction, although they are not sufficient for what Venezuela is demanding, which is the complete lifting of all unilateral coercive measures on the oil industry,” Maduro said at a press conference.

The U.S. government allowed Chevron to partially resume hydrocarbon extraction in Venezuela minutes after announcing a second “partial social protection agreement for the Venezuelan people.”

Chevron has been allowed to restart operations in the four companies it owns with Venezuelan state-owned giant Petroleos de Venezuela (PdVSA,) although it must ensure that the state-owned company receives no revenue from its oil sales.

This authorization came immediately after the signing of an agreement between the Venezuelan government and the opposition for the release of three billion Venezuelan dollars frozen abroad by the sanctions, to be used for social projects.

“The idea of removing Venezuela from the global economic circuit was a bad idea, an extremist idea of Donald Trump, and they are paying the price because Venezuela is part of the global energy equation,” said President Maduro.

“No matter who it hurts, we have to be there, we are a great oil power and we are going to be a gas power,” he added, recalling that just a few days after the start of the war in Ukraine on February 24, Washington, worried about the rise in oil prices, had sent a mission to negotiate in Caracas.

In May, Washington had already allowed Chevron to “negotiate” its possible resumption of operations in Venezuela, which represented a first departure from the embargo on Venezuelan oil imposed by Washington in 2019 in the hope of ousting Nicolas Maduro.

The United States extends a 30-day reprieve to NIS, controlled by Gazprom, as Serbia seeks to maintain energy security amid pressure on the Russian energy sector.
With net output reaching 384.6 million barrels of oil equivalent, CNOOC Limited continues its expansion, strengthening both domestic and international capacities despite volatile crude oil prices.
The Daenerys oil discovery could increase Talos Energy’s proved reserves by more than 25% and reach 65,000 barrels per day, marking a strategic shift in its Gulf of Mexico portfolio.
The United States will apply 50% tariffs on Indian exports in response to New Delhi’s purchases of Russian oil, further straining trade relations between the two partners.
Rising energy demand is driving investments in petrochemical filtration, a market growing at an average annual rate of 5.9% through 2030.
Chevron has opened talks with Libya’s National Oil Corporation on a possible return to exploration and production after leaving the country in 2010 due to unsuccessful drilling.
The Impact Assessment Agency of Canada opens public consultation on its 2024-2025 draft monitoring report for offshore oil and gas exploratory drilling off Newfoundland and Labrador.
Cenovus Energy announces the acquisition of MEG Energy through a mixed transaction aimed at strengthening its position in oil sands while optimizing cost structure and integrated production.
Vantage Drilling International Ltd. extends the validity of its conditional letter of award until August 29, without changes to the initial terms.
Libya is preparing to host an energy forum in partnership with American companies to boost investment in its oil and gas sectors.
Washington increases pressure on Iran’s oil sector by sanctioning a Greek shipper and its affiliates, accused of facilitating crude exports to Asia despite existing embargoes.
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management formalizes a strategic environmental review, setting the framework for 30 oil sales in the Gulf of America by 2040, in line with a new federal law and current executive directives.
Amid repeated disruptions on the Druzhba pipeline, attributed to Ukrainian strikes, Hungary has requested U.S. support to secure its oil supply.
Norwegian producer Aker BP raises its oil potential forecast for the Omega Alfa well, part of the Yggdrasil project, with estimated resources reaching up to 134 million barrels of oil equivalent.
The gradual restart of BP’s Whiting refinery following severe flooding is driving price and logistics adjustments across several Midwestern U.S. states.
Bruno Moretti, current special secretary to the presidency, is in pole position to lead Petrobras’ board of directors after Pietro Mendes’ resignation for a regulatory role.
Next Bridge Hydrocarbons completes a $6 million private debt raise to support its involvement in the Panther project while restructuring part of its existing debt.
Sinopec Shanghai Petrochemical reported a net loss in the first half of 2025, impacted by reduced demand for fuels and chemical products, as well as declining sales volumes.
Zener International Holding takes over Petrogal’s assets in Guinea-Bissau, backed by a $24 million structured financing deal arranged with support from Ecobank and the West African Development Bank.
Petrobras board chairman Pietro Mendes resigned after his appointment to lead the National Petroleum Agency, confirmed by the Senate.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: $99 for the 1styear year, then $ 199/year.