Oil: Opec+ chooses status quo in a volatile context

The Opec+ black gold producing countries have left their production quotas unchanged in a very uncertain climate.

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 $*

then 199 $/year

*renews at 199$/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

The Opec+ black gold producing countries left their production quotas unchanged in a very uncertain climate, on the eve of the entry into force of new sanctions targeting Russia.

Representatives of the thirteen members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec) led by Riyadh, and their ten allies led by Moscow, have agreed to stay the course decided in October of a reduction of two million barrels per day until the end of 2023, two participants in the meeting told AFP.

A statement confirmed the continuation of the current strategy, taken to support prices.

“This is not a big surprise,” commented analyst Hans van Cleef of ABN Amro, recalling that the alliance had already “warned of a slowdown in economic growth and therefore in demand for crude oil.”

In recent weeks, prices for both global benchmarks have lost ground and are in the $80-$85 range, a far cry from their peaks of over $130 reached in March after the invasion of Ukraine began.

This, “in retrospect, validates our course of action,” argued OPEC, which had raised the ire of the White House by slashing its quotas.

The next meeting was set for June 4, 2023, but the group said it was prepared to meet “at any time” between now and then to take “immediate additional action” if needed.

Russia in the spotlight

The decision was made after a quick meeting by video conference, the Opep+ returning to its habits taken during the Covid-19 pandemic after an exceptional meeting in early October in Vienna, headquarters of the cartel.

Speculations had run about a more drastic cut, but the group preferred to temporize in front of “the uncertainty as for the impact on the Russian crude oil production” of the new package of sanctions, underlined Giovanni Staunovo, analyst of UBS questioned by the AFP.

Russia is up in arms against the price cap on its oil that the European Union, the G7 and Australia plan to put in place on Monday “or very soon after” to deprive Russia of the means to finance its war in Ukraine.

The price of a barrel of crude oil from the Urals is currently hovering around $65, just above the $60 ceiling.

But the Kremlin has warned that it will no longer deliver oil to countries that adopt this mechanism, a position reaffirmed on Sunday by the Russian Deputy Prime Minister in charge of Energy, Alexander Novak.

Quoted by Russian news agencies, he even said that Russia was working “on mechanisms to prohibit the use of the cap tool, regardless of the level set.”

“Such interference can only cause further destabilization of the market and a shortage of energy resources,” he blasted.

Moscow will also be hit from Monday by an EU embargo on its seaborne oil.

And China too

Another element that played into the status quo, according to the UBS expert, was “some easing” of the strict sanitary restrictions in China, which could ease market concerns.

Demand from this country, which is the world’s largest importer of crude oil, is scrutinized by investors, and the slightest sign of a slowdown in the economy or a resurgence in the epidemic has a direct impact on prices.

In this gloomy context and in the face of fears of a global recession, North Sea Brent and its American equivalent, WTI, have fallen by around 8% since the organization’s last meeting in early October.

If Opec+ has opted for caution, the alliance could in the coming months “adopt a more aggressive stance”, in a warning to the West that bristles the 23 countries by regulating prices, predicts Edoardo Campanella, analyst at UniCredit.

For Hans van Cleef, it now remains to be seen how the markets will react to the resumption of trading on Monday.

In any case, the maintenance of the strategy of the Opep+ combined with the sanctions against Moscow “are likely to raise prices,” he believes.

Commercial crude oil inventories fell more than expected in the United States, while gasoline demand crossed a key threshold, offering slight support to crude prices.
The United States extends a 30-day reprieve to NIS, controlled by Gazprom, as Serbia seeks to maintain energy security amid pressure on the Russian energy sector.
With net output reaching 384.6 million barrels of oil equivalent, CNOOC Limited continues its expansion, strengthening both domestic and international capacities despite volatile crude oil prices.
The Daenerys oil discovery could increase Talos Energy’s proved reserves by more than 25% and reach 65,000 barrels per day, marking a strategic shift in its Gulf of Mexico portfolio.
The United States will apply 50% tariffs on Indian exports in response to New Delhi’s purchases of Russian oil, further straining trade relations between the two partners.
Rising energy demand is driving investments in petrochemical filtration, a market growing at an average annual rate of 5.9% through 2030.
Chevron has opened talks with Libya’s National Oil Corporation on a possible return to exploration and production after leaving the country in 2010 due to unsuccessful drilling.
The Impact Assessment Agency of Canada opens public consultation on its 2024-2025 draft monitoring report for offshore oil and gas exploratory drilling off Newfoundland and Labrador.
Cenovus Energy announces the acquisition of MEG Energy through a mixed transaction aimed at strengthening its position in oil sands while optimizing cost structure and integrated production.
Vantage Drilling International Ltd. extends the validity of its conditional letter of award until August 29, without changes to the initial terms.
Libya is preparing to host an energy forum in partnership with American companies to boost investment in its oil and gas sectors.
Washington increases pressure on Iran’s oil sector by sanctioning a Greek shipper and its affiliates, accused of facilitating crude exports to Asia despite existing embargoes.
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management formalizes a strategic environmental review, setting the framework for 30 oil sales in the Gulf of America by 2040, in line with a new federal law and current executive directives.
Amid repeated disruptions on the Druzhba pipeline, attributed to Ukrainian strikes, Hungary has requested U.S. support to secure its oil supply.
Norwegian producer Aker BP raises its oil potential forecast for the Omega Alfa well, part of the Yggdrasil project, with estimated resources reaching up to 134 million barrels of oil equivalent.
The gradual restart of BP’s Whiting refinery following severe flooding is driving price and logistics adjustments across several Midwestern U.S. states.
Bruno Moretti, current special secretary to the presidency, is in pole position to lead Petrobras’ board of directors after Pietro Mendes’ resignation for a regulatory role.
Next Bridge Hydrocarbons completes a $6 million private debt raise to support its involvement in the Panther project while restructuring part of its existing debt.
Sinopec Shanghai Petrochemical reported a net loss in the first half of 2025, impacted by reduced demand for fuels and chemical products, as well as declining sales volumes.
Zener International Holding takes over Petrogal’s assets in Guinea-Bissau, backed by a $24 million structured financing deal arranged with support from Ecobank and the West African Development Bank.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: $99 for the 1styear year, then $ 199/year.