Germany Defends Energy Package in the Face of European Criticism

The 200 billion euro support plan released by Germany to protect its economy from the energy crisis is justified.

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 €*

then 199 €/year

*renews at 199€/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

The 200 billion euro support plan released by Germany to protect its economy from the energy crisis, criticized by several European countries, is “justified”, said Chancellor Olaf Scholz Tuesday.

“The measures we are taking are (…) justified,” said the head of the German government at a press conference with his Dutch counterpart, Mark Rutte.

While some EU officials criticize it for going it alone, Berlin argues that these measures “are not isolated, and have been taken elsewhere,” Scholz said.

France and Spain have put in place measures to limit the impact of soaring energy costs on consumers, as Germany is about to do with an upcoming price cap.

The announcement last week of this new aid, valued at 200 billion euros, irritated its European partners.

Germany is being accused of double standards: pleading for austerity in Brussels while spending lavishly itself.

The amount and the uncoordinated nature of the initiative make some countries fear distortions of competition, because not all European states can release such a sum.

In addition to similar measures in other European countries, Berlin emphasizes that its plan will be spread over several years, which will prevent too many distortions.

“These measures will be intended to finance support measures in 2023 and 2024″, thus defended Tuesday Olaf Scholz.

The Chancellor also rejected the establishment of new common borrowing instruments at the European level to respond to the crisis, such as the post-Covid recovery plan of 2020.

This is what was suggested in an opinion piece on Monday by the European Commissioners for the Economy and the Internal Market, Paolo Gentiloni and Thierry Breton.

Mr. Scholz calls for the use of the money released in 2020, a large part of which has not yet been spent by the European states.

“We have a huge envelope of 750 billion euros, the vast majority of which has not yet been used, and which can be particularly effective at this time,” he said.

This European recovery plan, intended for “investments in the future”, was released thanks to the agreement of Germany, at the time governed by the conservative Angela Merkel, who finally rallied to the initiative.

Brazilian authorities have launched a large-scale operation targeting a money laundering system linked to the fuel sector, involving investment funds, fintechs, and more than 1,000 service stations across the country.
A national study by the Davies Group reveals widespread American support for the simultaneous development of both renewable and fossil energy sources, with strong approval for natural gas and solar energy.
The South Korean government compels ten petrochemical groups to cut up to 3.7 million tons of naphtha cracking per year, tying financial and tax support to swift and documented restructuring measures.
The U.S. Department of Energy has extended until November the emergency measures aimed at ensuring the stability of Puerto Rico’s power grid against overload risks and recurring outages.
Under threat of increased U.S. tariffs, New Delhi is accelerating its energy independence strategy to reduce reliance on imports, particularly Russian oil.
With a new $800 million investment agreement, Tsingshan expands the Manhize steel plant and generates an energy demand of more than 500 MW, forcing Zimbabwe to accelerate its electricity strategy.
U.S. electric storage capacity will surge 68% this year according to Cleanview, largely offsetting the slowdown in solar and wind projects under the Trump administration.
A nationwide blackout left Iraq without electricity for several hours, affecting almost the entire country due to record consumption linked to an extreme heatwave.
Washington launches antidumping procedures against three Asian countries. Margins up to 190% identified. Final decisions expected April 2026 with major supply chain impacts.
Revenues generated by oil and gas in Russia recorded a significant decrease in July, putting direct pressure on the country’s budget balance according to official figures.
U.S. electricity consumption reached unprecedented levels in the last week of July, driven by a heatwave and the growth of industrial activity.
The New York Power Authority targets nearly 7GW of capacity with a plan featuring 20 renewable projects and 156 storage initiatives, marking a new phase for public investment in the State.
French Guiana plans to achieve a fully decarbonised power mix by 2027, driven by the construction of a biomass plant and expansion of renewable energy on its territory.
The progress of national targets for renewable energy remains marginal, with only a 2% increase since COP28, threatening the achievement of the tripling of capacity by 2030 and impacting energy security.
A Department of Energy report states that US actions on greenhouse gases would have a limited global impact, while highlighting a gap between perceptions and the economic realities of global warming.
Investments in renewable energy across the Middle East and North Africa are expected to reach USD59.9 bn by 2030, fuelled by national strategies, the rise of solar, green hydrogen, and new regional industrial projects.
Global electricity demand is projected to grow steadily through 2026, driven by industrial expansion, data centres, electric mobility and air conditioning, with increasing contributions from renewables, natural gas and nuclear power.
Kenya registers a historic record in electricity consumption, driven by industrial growth and a strong contribution from geothermal and hydropower plants operated by Kenya Electricity Generating Company PLC.
Final energy consumption in the European industrial sector dropped by 5% in 2023, reaching a level not seen in three decades, with renewables taking a growing role in certain key segments.
Réseau de transport d’électricité is planning a long-term modernisation of its infrastructure. A national public debate will begin on September 4 to address implementation methods, challenges and conditions.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: €99 for the 1styear year, then € 199/year.