France: New extension for the electricity tariff shield

France is extending the electricity tariff shield by one year to protect households from bill increases until 2025, but the extension on gas is no longer justified due to falling prices.

Share:

Comprehensive energy news coverage, updated nonstop

Annual subscription

8.25$/month*

*billed annually at 99$/year for the first year then 149,00$/year ​

Unlimited access • Archives included • Professional invoice

OTHER ACCESS OPTIONS

Monthly subscription

Unlimited access • Archives included

5.2$/month*
then 14.90$ per month thereafter

FREE ACCOUNT

3 articles offered per month

FREE

*Prices are excluding VAT, which may vary depending on your location or professional status

Since 2021: 35,000 articles • 150+ analyses per week

One year’s reprieve: the French government has decided to protect households from the ups and downs of the electricity market for another year by extending the tariff shield introduced in October 2021 to limit bill increases until the beginning of 2025, whereas it was only planned until the end of 2023.

“I give us two years, by early 2025, to get out of the shield on electricity,” because of rates that remain “very high” compared to the pre-crisis situation, announced Friday the Minister of the Economy Bruno Le Maire, on LCI. This situation is not likely to change in the near future: electricity contracts for delivery in the first quarter of 2024 are now trading on the forward market at 367 euros/MWh, which is more than double the prices in Germany (164 euros/MWh) or Italy (182 euros/MWh).

This tariff shield, announced in the fall of 2021 by then Prime Minister Jean Castex at a time when energy prices were beginning to rise sharply, is expected to cost the public purse 45 billion euros this year. In addition, there are other energy subsidies for households (fuel, oil, wood …) and for small and medium-sized enterprises.

Despite these expenses, the government keeps proclaiming the end of “whatever it takes”, preferring to talk about targeted aid that is not intended to be permanent. The production of electricity by EDF remains “a little below what we could expect, so that makes rates that are even higher,” said Bruno Le Maire. The exit of this shield will therefore be gradual “so as not to worry” the French.

The market price of electricity remains high, particularly in view of questions about the proper functioning of EDF’s nuclear power plants, which have been affected by production difficulties, notably due to corrosion problems. The increase in the regulated electricity tariff, capped by the state through subsidies, was 4% in 2022 and 15% in 2023. “It is in itself a good thing for consumers, it is a positive measure, since it will avoid an explosion of electricity rates,” reacted to AFP François Carlier, of the consumer association CLCV.

Not gas

On the other hand, the Minister believes that the extension of the gas tariff shield is no longer justified because natural gas prices have fallen significantly since the unprecedented peaks of 2022, caused by the war in Ukraine and the end of Russian gas exports to Western Europe. The shield will stop “from this year”, announced Bruno Le Maire. For gas, “there is no reason to maintain the shield,” said Bruno Le Maire, because of prices that “have returned to the pre-crisis situation, at 50 euros per megawatt hour.

Given this decline, “the shield remains in place until the end of the year to protect the French, but will only be activated if gas prices were to rise sharply again on the markets,” said the office of the Minister of Energy Transition Agnès Pannier-Runacher.

On Friday, the reference price for natural gas in Europe was around 40 euros per MWh, which is the level for the summer of 2021, and which was already about double the average prices of previous years. As for electricity, Carlier says that if the shield had been lifted as planned at the end of 2023, the regulated sales tariff, which concerns a majority of customers, would have exploded regardless of market trends, because of the way it is calculated by the Energy Regulation Commission.

Not penalizing consumers and with them growth while preserving public accounts, the equation is delicate for the government, as summarized by Mr. Le Maire in an interview with the Courrier Picard: “It is imperative to accelerate the deleveraging of France with a goal of reducing in 2027 the public debt of 4 points higher than what was planned last year,” he explains. Among the levers mentioned, the exit of the tariff shield and the end of the exceptional energy vouchers.

The gradual exit from CfD contracts is turning stable assets into infrastructures exposed to higher volatility, challenging expected returns and traditional financing models for the renewable sector.
The Canadian government introduces major legislative changes to the Energy Efficiency Act to support its national strategy and adapt to the realities of digital commerce.
Quebec becomes the only Canadian province where a carbon price still applies directly to fuels, as Ottawa eliminated the public-facing carbon tax in April 2025.
New Delhi launches a 72.8 bn INR incentive plan to build a 6,000-tonne domestic capacity for permanent magnets, amid rising Chinese export restrictions on critical components.
The rise of CfDs, PPAs and capacity mechanisms signals a structural shift: markets alone no longer cover 10–30-year financing needs, while spot prices have surged 400% in Europe since 2019.
Germany plans to finalise the €5.8bn ($6.34bn) purchase of a 25.1% stake in TenneT Germany to strengthen its control over critical national power grid infrastructure.
The Ghanaian government is implementing a reform of its energy system focused on increasing the use of local natural gas, aiming to reduce electricity production costs and limit the sector's financial imbalance.
On the 50th anniversary of its independence, Suriname announced a national roadmap including major public investment to develop its offshore oil reserves.
China's power generation capacity recorded strong growth in October, driven by continued expansion of solar and wind, according to official data from the National Energy Administration.
The 2026–2031 offshore programme proposes opening over one billion acres to oil exploration, triggering a regulatory clash between Washington, coastal states and legal advocacy groups.
The government of Mozambique is consolidating its gas transport and regasification assets under a public vehicle, anchoring the strategic Beira–Rompco corridor to support Rovuma projects and respond to South Africa’s gas dependency.
The British system operator NESO initiates a consultation process to define the methodology of eleven upcoming regional strategic plans aimed at coordinating energy needs across England, Scotland and Wales.
The Belém summit ends with a technical compromise prioritising forest investment and adaptation, while avoiding fossil fuel discussions and opening a climate–trade dialogue likely to trigger new regulatory disputes.
The Asian Development Bank and the Kyrgyz Republic have signed a financing agreement to strengthen energy infrastructure, climate resilience and regional connectivity, with over $700mn committed through 2027.
A study from the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies finds that energy-from-waste with carbon capture delivers nearly twice the climate benefit of converting waste into aviation fuel.
Signed for 25 years, the new concession contract between Sipperec, EDF and Enedis covers 87 municipalities in the Île-de-France region and commits the parties to managing and developing the public electricity distribution network until 2051.
The French Energy Regulatory Commission publishes its 2023–2024 report, detailing the crisis impact on gas and electricity markets and the measures deployed to support competition and rebuild consumer trust.
Gathered in Belém, states from Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe support the adoption of a timeline for the gradual withdrawal from fossil fuels, despite expected resistance from several producer countries.
The E3 and the United States submit a resolution to the IAEA to formalise Iran's non-cooperation following the June strikes, consolidating the legal basis for tougher energy and financial sanctions.
The United Kingdom launches a taskforce led by the Energy Minister to strengthen the security of the national power grid after a full shutdown at Heathrow Airport caused by a substation fire.

All the latest energy news, all the time

Annual subscription

8.25$/month*

*billed annually at 99$/year for the first year then 149,00$/year ​

Unlimited access - Archives included - Pro invoice

Monthly subscription

Unlimited access • Archives included

5.2$/month*
then 14.90$ per month thereafter

*Prices shown are exclusive of VAT, which may vary according to your location or professional status.

Since 2021: 30,000 articles - +150 analyses/week.