COP28 boss calls for tripling of renewable energy production by 2030

The President of COP28 called for a tripling of global renewable energy capacity by 2030 at the Petersberg Climate Dialogue, with demands for transparency on public funds promised to developing countries to address global warming.

Share:

Comprehensive energy news coverage, updated nonstop

Annual subscription

8.25$/month*

*billed annually at 99$/year for the first year then 149,00$/year ​

Unlimited access • Archives included • Professional invoice

OTHER ACCESS OPTIONS

Monthly subscription

Unlimited access • Archives included

5.2$/month*
then 14.90$ per month thereafter

FREE ACCOUNT

3 articles offered per month

FREE

*Prices are excluding VAT, which may vary depending on your location or professional status

Since 2021: 35,000 articles • 150+ analyses per week

The president of the COP28 called on Tuesday to “triple” by 2030 the global capacity of renewable energy production to help limit global warming.

Sultan Ahmed al-Jaber, both head of the COP28 and boss of the oil giant ADNOC, set this ambitious target, with a “doubling again by 2040”, in front of the representatives of more than 40 countries gathered in Berlin.

Within the framework of the Petersberg Climate Dialogue, until Wednesday, they are preparing the COP28 in Dubai scheduled for the end of November. “Please act now,” said UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in a video message, for whom “we have looked the other way for too long. There is “no choice” but to reduce emissions, al-Jaber said.

He had already set the target of tripling renewables during closed-door discussions at a G7 meeting in mid-April in Sapporo, Japan.

“Ambitious commitments”

This goal is also advocated by the International Energy Agency (IEA), which estimated in a recent report that renewable energy capacity additions must triple by 2030 compared to 2022 levels. The aim is to deploy globally about 1,200 GW per year, according to the IEA.

In its final declaration, the previous COP, held in 2022 in Egypt, called for “rapid scaling up of clean energy production” and “phasing out of inefficient fossil fuel subsidies”. The Emirati president of the COP28 did not mention the complete exit from fossil fuels, but rather focused on reducing emissions, notably through carbon capture technologies. “Negotiators must go further and form a strong and united coalition in favor of (…) a phase-out of all fossil fuels,” reacted the international NGO 350.org.

Mr. Ahmed al-Jaber said he “expects ambitious, transparent and accountable commitments from countries and companies that will shape parliamentary policies and budgets” at the upcoming COP28. Criticized by NGOs for his dual role as president of the COP and head of an oil company, Mr. al-Jaber pledged that under his presidency, “the negotiations will allow all parties to discuss, debate and agree on the role of all energy sources.

In a recent synthesis of its work, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) warned that the world is likely to cross the key global warming limit of 1.5 degrees Celsius in about a decade. These UN experts have called for dramatic reductions in global warming emissions, with a particularly rapid transformation needed in the energy sector.

“Transparency.”

The president of the COP28 has urged developed countries to release annually the 100 billion dollars promised to developing countries to cope with global warming. A promise that dates back to 2009 and was originally intended to be fulfilled by 2020. “This is delaying progress. As part of my advocacy, I am asking donor countries to provide an assessment of the fulfillment of this commitment before COP28,” said al-Jaber.

The head of German diplomacy, Annalena Baerbock, said she was optimistic: “We are on the verge of reaching this sum of 100 billion dollars this year”, the green minister assured the conference. But, Baerbock warned, “public funds alone will not be able to cover these needs” and address “the greatest security challenge of our century.”

Mr. Ahmed al-Jaber has called for a reform of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, which is supposed to allow “the release of much more financing”, especially private financing. France has asked, through the Minister of Energy Transition Agnès Pannier-Runacher, that “there be the greatest possible transparency on the goal of 100 billion” and “a transparency on who brings how much to these funds. Germany and France each pay about 6 billion euros per year.

The gradual exit from CfD contracts is turning stable assets into infrastructures exposed to higher volatility, challenging expected returns and traditional financing models for the renewable sector.
The Canadian government introduces major legislative changes to the Energy Efficiency Act to support its national strategy and adapt to the realities of digital commerce.
Quebec becomes the only Canadian province where a carbon price still applies directly to fuels, as Ottawa eliminated the public-facing carbon tax in April 2025.
New Delhi launches a 72.8 bn INR incentive plan to build a 6,000-tonne domestic capacity for permanent magnets, amid rising Chinese export restrictions on critical components.
The rise of CfDs, PPAs and capacity mechanisms signals a structural shift: markets alone no longer cover 10–30-year financing needs, while spot prices have surged 400% in Europe since 2019.
Germany plans to finalise the €5.8bn ($6.34bn) purchase of a 25.1% stake in TenneT Germany to strengthen its control over critical national power grid infrastructure.
The Ghanaian government is implementing a reform of its energy system focused on increasing the use of local natural gas, aiming to reduce electricity production costs and limit the sector's financial imbalance.
On the 50th anniversary of its independence, Suriname announced a national roadmap including major public investment to develop its offshore oil reserves.
China's power generation capacity recorded strong growth in October, driven by continued expansion of solar and wind, according to official data from the National Energy Administration.
The 2026–2031 offshore programme proposes opening over one billion acres to oil exploration, triggering a regulatory clash between Washington, coastal states and legal advocacy groups.
The government of Mozambique is consolidating its gas transport and regasification assets under a public vehicle, anchoring the strategic Beira–Rompco corridor to support Rovuma projects and respond to South Africa’s gas dependency.
The British system operator NESO initiates a consultation process to define the methodology of eleven upcoming regional strategic plans aimed at coordinating energy needs across England, Scotland and Wales.
The Belém summit ends with a technical compromise prioritising forest investment and adaptation, while avoiding fossil fuel discussions and opening a climate–trade dialogue likely to trigger new regulatory disputes.
The Asian Development Bank and the Kyrgyz Republic have signed a financing agreement to strengthen energy infrastructure, climate resilience and regional connectivity, with over $700mn committed through 2027.
A study from the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies finds that energy-from-waste with carbon capture delivers nearly twice the climate benefit of converting waste into aviation fuel.
Signed for 25 years, the new concession contract between Sipperec, EDF and Enedis covers 87 municipalities in the Île-de-France region and commits the parties to managing and developing the public electricity distribution network until 2051.
The French Energy Regulatory Commission publishes its 2023–2024 report, detailing the crisis impact on gas and electricity markets and the measures deployed to support competition and rebuild consumer trust.
Gathered in Belém, states from Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe support the adoption of a timeline for the gradual withdrawal from fossil fuels, despite expected resistance from several producer countries.
The E3 and the United States submit a resolution to the IAEA to formalise Iran's non-cooperation following the June strikes, consolidating the legal basis for tougher energy and financial sanctions.
The United Kingdom launches a taskforce led by the Energy Minister to strengthen the security of the national power grid after a full shutdown at Heathrow Airport caused by a substation fire.

All the latest energy news, all the time

Annual subscription

8.25$/month*

*billed annually at 99$/year for the first year then 149,00$/year ​

Unlimited access - Archives included - Pro invoice

Monthly subscription

Unlimited access • Archives included

5.2$/month*
then 14.90$ per month thereafter

*Prices shown are exclusive of VAT, which may vary according to your location or professional status.

Since 2021: 30,000 articles - +150 analyses/week.