What is a cookie?
Cookies are files containing small amounts of information that are stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. This text file is likely to be recorded, subject to your choices, in a dedicated space of the hard disk of your terminal, at the time of the consultation of an online service thanks to your navigation software. A cookie file allows its issuer to identify the terminal in which it is stored, for the duration of its validity. Cookies are kept for a period of 13 months.
What is the purpose of the cookies issued on our site?
Only the sender of a cookie can read or modify the information contained in it. The cookies used on our site make it possible to identify the services and sections that the user has visited, and more generally his visiting behavior. This information is useful for:
- To facilitate and improve your navigation on our site
- To better personalize the services, content, promotional offers and banners that appear on our site
- Provide social media and networking capabilities
- To allow the proper functioning of certain services
- Measuring audiences for selected services.
The cookies we issue on our site :
When you connect to our site, we may, subject to your choices, install various cookies on your terminal that allow us to recognize your terminal’s browser during the period of validity of the cookie concerned. The cookies we issue are used for the purposes described below, subject to your choices resulting from the settings of your browser software used when you visit our site. The cookies we issue allow us to:
- 1. To facilitate and improve your navigation on our site:
- by adapting the presentation of our site to the display preferences of your terminal (language used, display resolution, operating system used, etc.) during your visits to our site, according to the hardware and software for viewing or reading that your terminal has,
- by memorizing information relating to a form you have filled out on our site or to products, services or information you have chosen on our site (service subscribed to, content consulted, purchase made, etc.)
- by allowing you to access reserved and personal areas of our site, such as your account, thanks to identifiers or data that you may have previously given us
- by implementing security measures.
- 2. Count the number of articles consulted on a part of our site:
- 3. Improve our services:
- 4. Adapt the advertising offered on our site:
- by tracking the total number of advertisements displayed by us on our advertising spaces, identifying those advertisements, the number of users who clicked on each advertisement, and compiling statistics,
- by adapting our advertising spaces to the display preferences of your terminal (language used, display resolution, operating system used, etc.), according to the hardware and software for viewing or reading that your terminal has,
- by adapting the advertising content displayed on your terminal by our advertising spaces, according to the navigation of your terminal on our site,
- by adapting the advertising content displayed on your terminal in our advertising spaces according to the location data transmitted by your terminal with your prior consent
- by adapting the advertising content displayed on your terminal in our advertising spaces according to the personal data you have provided
Cookies issued on our site by third parties
Because of third party applications integrated into our site
We may include on our site/application, computer applications from third parties, which allow you to share content from our site with other people or to let these other people know your consultation or your opinion concerning a content of our site/application. This is particularly the case of the “Share” and “Like” buttons from social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. The social network providing such an application button may identify you through that button, even if you did not use that button when visiting our site/application. Indeed, this type of application button can allow the social network concerned to follow your navigation on our site, simply because your account with the social network concerned was activated on your terminal (open session) during your navigation on our site. We have no control over the process used by social networks to collect information about your browsing on our site in combination with the personal data they hold. We invite you to consult the privacy policies of these social networks in order to learn about the purposes of use, including advertising, of the browsing information they may collect through these application buttons. These protection policies must allow you to exercise your choices and rights with these social networks, in particular by setting up your accounts for each of these networks.
Via third-party content displayed in our advertising spaces
Advertising content is likely to contain cookies issued by third parties: either the advertiser at the origin of the advertising content in question, or a company outside the advertiser (communication consulting agency, audience measurement company, targeted advertising provider, etc.), which has associated a cookie with the advertising content of an advertiser. Where applicable, the cookies issued by these third parties may allow them, during the period of validity of these cookies :
- to count the number of displays of advertising content disseminated via our advertising spaces, to identify the advertisements thus displayed, the number of users having clicked on each advertisement, allowing them to calculate the sums due as a result and to establish statistics,
- to recognize your terminal during its subsequent navigation on any other site or service on which these advertisers or third parties also issue cookies and, if necessary, to adapt these third-party sites and services or the advertisements that they broadcast, to the navigation of your terminal of which they may be aware
By an external advertising agency using our advertising space
The advertising spaces on our site may be operated by one or more external advertising agencies and, where applicable, may contain cookies issued by one of them. Where applicable, the cookies issued by these external advertising agencies allow them, during the period of validity of these cookies :
- to count the total number of advertisements displayed by them on our advertising spaces, to identify these advertisements, their respective number of displays, the number of users having clicked on each advertisement and, if necessary, the subsequent actions carried out by these users on the pages to which these advertisements lead, in order to calculate the sums due to the actors of the chain of advertising distribution (advertiser, communication agency, advertising sales house, site/support of distribution) and to establish statistics,
- to adapt the advertising spaces they operate to the display preferences of your terminal (language used, display resolution, operating system used, etc.), according to the hardware and software for viewing or reading that your terminal has,
- to adapt the advertising content displayed on your terminal via our advertising spaces according to the navigation of your terminal on our site,
- to adapt the advertising content displayed on your terminal via our advertising spaces according to your terminal’s previous or subsequent browsing on third-party sites where the advertising network concerned also issues cookies, provided that these cookies have been saved on your terminal in accordance with the choices you have made with regard to this network,
- to adapt the advertising content displayed on your terminal via our advertising spaces according to the location data (longitude and latitude) transmitted by your terminal with your prior consent
- to adapt the advertising content displayed on your terminal in our advertising spaces according to the personal data that you may have provided to this advertising agency.
Your choices regarding cookies
- (a) The Cookie Agreement
- (b) Refusal of Cookies
How do you exercise your choices, depending on the browser you use?
For the management of cookies and your choices, the configuration of each browser is different. It is described in the help menu of your browser, which will tell you how to change your cookie preferences.
- For Internet Explorer™
- For Safari™
- For Chrome™
- For Firefox™
- For Opera™
Refuse a Video Cookie
Our site uses Video cookies to display videos on our site. This service places cookies on users’ computers for the purpose:
- optimize the use of the video service by its users;
- customize the advertisement that is played before or after the video;
- record the data needed to playback audio video content, such as image quality, buffering settings, and network connection speed;
Refusing a Cookie for audience measurement or segmentation
The audience measurement and segmentation cookies are deposited by the companies Google, AT Internet A/B Tasty, Nugg Ad, Chartbeat, Ownpage, Alliance Gravity Data Media (operated by the company Mediarithmics – see 4) and Weborama (see 5).
If you do not want our site to store cookies in your browser for segmentation purposes, you can see paragraph 4. For audience measurement cookies, you can click on the following deactivation link which will save a cookie in your browser with the sole purpose of deactivating them:
For the Google Analytics cookie , Tag Manager
Please note that these segmentation cookies allow us to measure the traffic or audience associated with our website, the pages visited and the interactions carried out on the Site during your visit. Deactivating them therefore prevents any collection of information relating to your browsing on our Site and therefore the proposal of editorial content tailored to your browsing.
Opting out of a Cookie
You can manage the use and operation of these Cookies by visiting the advertising industry’s Cookie Management Platform and following the instructions provided there. You will be able to find out which companies are registered with this platform, which offer you the possibility of refusing or accepting the cookies used by them to adapt the advertisements that may be displayed to your browsing information. Some cookies for behavioral advertising purposes are deposited by third-party partners. You can also click on the following links to learn more about their practices and exercise your choice:
Refuse a Cookie issued by a social network
If you do not want our site to store Cookies in your browser for this purpose, you can click on the following deactivation links which will store a Cookie in your browser with the sole purpose of disabling the use of other Cookies from the same sender. Deactivating these cookies will prevent any interaction with the social network(s) concerned:
6. For more information on cookies
To guide you in the process of limiting your traces on the web, if you wish, and being aware that this may degrade your navigation on our site and access to our services and / or your subscription, we invite you to consult the following page: CNIL user tips The CNIL (Commission Nationale Informatique et Libertés) has made a video to learn everything about cookies: the video is available here