British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak to attend COP27

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announced on Wednesday that he would finally attend COP27

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 $*

then 199 $/year

*renews at 199$/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announced on Wednesday that he would attend COP27 after all, an about-face that was better received in substance than in form for the Conservative leader, who already has several irons in the fire on the home front.

“There is no long-term prosperity without action on climate change. There is no energy security without investing in renewables. That’s why I’ll be attending @COP27 next week: to ensure Glasgow’s legacy is translated into a secure and sustainable future,” tweeted the 42-year-old Conservative leader.

Rishi Sunak, whose country hosted COP26 last year, initially said he would not attend the climate conference, justifying his absence by “pressing commitments” in the UK.

At the forefront is the preparation of the budget presentation on November 17, highly anticipated after several weeks of financial storm, caused by the economic announcements of his predecessor Liz Truss, who stayed in office only 49 days.

Rishi Sunak is also shaken by his controversial choice to reappoint the very right-wing Suella Braverman as head of the Ministry of the Interior, just six days after she resigned – under Liz Truss – for improperly sharing official documents from a private email address.

In addition, there is the delicate matter of managing the massive influx of migrants crossing the English Channel in small boats, which is beyond the capacity of the British government, which anticipates a total of 50,000 arrivals over the year 2022.

“Embarrassing misstep”

During the weekly question session in Parliament, his second since coming to power, Rishi Sunak defended his minister, whose departure the opposition is demanding: “she is doing her job, tackling crime, defending our borders.

The absence of the new British leader at COP27, where Joe Biden and Brazilian President-elect Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva are expected to attend, appeared all the more politically embarrassing as former Prime Minister Boris Johnson had confirmed on Tuesday that he would attend.

After an accumulation of criticisms, notably from the British climate negotiator Alok Sharma, Downing Street seemed to be gradually preparing the ground for a reversal.

“Good decision. We all need UK leadership on climate,” Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney reacted on Twitter.

“Happy” with this about-face, the green deputy Caroline Lucas criticized “an embarrassing faux-pas on the world stage”. “Let this be a lesson to him,” she tweeted.

The leader of Labour Keir Starmer said that “giving in to criticism is not leading”.

The king will not go

“If the UK wants to be seen as a leader in the world, it must lead the way. It is the least the Prime Minister can do to go to COP27″, reacted Tracy Carty, head of climate at the NGO Oxfam GB.

Despite the Prime Minister’s reversal, King Charles III, known for his long-standing commitment to the environment, will not attend.

There is “unanimous agreement” with the government, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said.

It was only last Friday that Downing Street publicly admitted that the King would not be attending, several days after press reports that Liz Truss had objected to the King’s participation.

“As is the practice, the advice of the government was sought and provided under a previous prime minister and it was unanimously agreed that this would not be the right occasion for King Charles to visit in person,” a spokeswoman for the prime minister had said.

The king is hosting a reception at Buckingham Palace this Friday, bringing together 200 business leaders, policymakers and NGOs “to mark the end of the UK’s COP26 presidency and look ahead to the COP27″ summit, according to his office. The American special envoy for the climate, John Kerry, is expected to attend.

Brazilian authorities have launched a large-scale operation targeting a money laundering system linked to the fuel sector, involving investment funds, fintechs, and more than 1,000 service stations across the country.
A national study by the Davies Group reveals widespread American support for the simultaneous development of both renewable and fossil energy sources, with strong approval for natural gas and solar energy.
The South Korean government compels ten petrochemical groups to cut up to 3.7 million tons of naphtha cracking per year, tying financial and tax support to swift and documented restructuring measures.
The U.S. Department of Energy has extended until November the emergency measures aimed at ensuring the stability of Puerto Rico’s power grid against overload risks and recurring outages.
Under threat of increased U.S. tariffs, New Delhi is accelerating its energy independence strategy to reduce reliance on imports, particularly Russian oil.
With a new $800 million investment agreement, Tsingshan expands the Manhize steel plant and generates an energy demand of more than 500 MW, forcing Zimbabwe to accelerate its electricity strategy.
U.S. electric storage capacity will surge 68% this year according to Cleanview, largely offsetting the slowdown in solar and wind projects under the Trump administration.
A nationwide blackout left Iraq without electricity for several hours, affecting almost the entire country due to record consumption linked to an extreme heatwave.
Washington launches antidumping procedures against three Asian countries. Margins up to 190% identified. Final decisions expected April 2026 with major supply chain impacts.
Revenues generated by oil and gas in Russia recorded a significant decrease in July, putting direct pressure on the country’s budget balance according to official figures.
U.S. electricity consumption reached unprecedented levels in the last week of July, driven by a heatwave and the growth of industrial activity.
The New York Power Authority targets nearly 7GW of capacity with a plan featuring 20 renewable projects and 156 storage initiatives, marking a new phase for public investment in the State.
French Guiana plans to achieve a fully decarbonised power mix by 2027, driven by the construction of a biomass plant and expansion of renewable energy on its territory.
The progress of national targets for renewable energy remains marginal, with only a 2% increase since COP28, threatening the achievement of the tripling of capacity by 2030 and impacting energy security.
A Department of Energy report states that US actions on greenhouse gases would have a limited global impact, while highlighting a gap between perceptions and the economic realities of global warming.
Investments in renewable energy across the Middle East and North Africa are expected to reach USD59.9 bn by 2030, fuelled by national strategies, the rise of solar, green hydrogen, and new regional industrial projects.
Global electricity demand is projected to grow steadily through 2026, driven by industrial expansion, data centres, electric mobility and air conditioning, with increasing contributions from renewables, natural gas and nuclear power.
Kenya registers a historic record in electricity consumption, driven by industrial growth and a strong contribution from geothermal and hydropower plants operated by Kenya Electricity Generating Company PLC.
Final energy consumption in the European industrial sector dropped by 5% in 2023, reaching a level not seen in three decades, with renewables taking a growing role in certain key segments.
Réseau de transport d’électricité is planning a long-term modernisation of its infrastructure. A national public debate will begin on September 4 to address implementation methods, challenges and conditions.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: $99 for the 1styear year, then $ 199/year.