Ukraine: evacuations around Zaporizhia, the IAEA wants to avoid a “serious nuclear accident

The IAEA warns of the risk of a "serious nuclear accident" at the Russian-occupied Zaporizhia plant in Ukraine, while temporary evacuations of surrounding towns are causing concern and queues for basic supplies.

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 £*

then 199 £/year

*renews at 199£/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

The International Atomic Energy Agency(IAEA) warned Saturday of the risk of a “serious nuclear accident” at the Zaporizhia power plant, occupied by Russian forces in Ukraine, in the midst of an evacuation of a nearby town where most of the employees live, and of the “potentially dangerous” situation around the site.

“The situation in the area near the Zaporijjia nuclear power plant is becoming increasingly unpredictable and potentially dangerous,” warned the head of the Agency, Rafael Grossi, quoted in an IAEA statement. This power plant, the largest in Europe, has been targeted several times by fire since the beginning of the conflict, raising fears of a catastrophe. Agency experts, who are on site, continue to hear the sound of shelling in the area, the last of which was on Friday night, the statement said.

They are closely monitoring the situation to “detect any potential impact on nuclear safety and security,” Grossi said. “This major nuclear facility must be protected. I will continue to press for all parties to commit to this vital goal, and the IAEA will continue to do everything in its power to help ensure the nuclear safety and security of the plant,” he said.

Huge waiting lines

On Friday, the Moscow-installed regional head, Yevgeny Balitsky, had announced a partial evacuation of 18 Russian-occupied localities in the Zaporizhia region, including Energodar. But there are concerns about this one. Ivan Fedorov, mayor of Melitopol, denounced on Saturday on Telegram a too fast “evacuation”.

Huge queues formed at the Chongar checkpoint on the road from Melitopol to Crimea, he said. The same is true in Tokmak, where there are long queues to buy bread, while most gas stations are out of gas. These evacuations, “temporary” according to Mr. Balitski, concern primarily children with their parents, the elderly and disabled, and hospital patients facing the increase, according to him, of Ukrainian bombings in recent days.

The Russian authorities plan to evacuate about 70,000 people from localities in the Zaporizhia region under their occupation, according to another official of the occupation administration, Andrei Kozenko, quoted by the TASS agency. But an evacuation of employees of the nuclear power plant, whose six reactors are shut down, is not planned for the moment, announced Saturday Yuri Chernichuk, director of the site appointed by the Russian authorities.

The number of staff at Zaporizhia has gradually decreased since the beginning of the conflict, the IAEA statement said, and the site is managed by a sufficient number of employees to ensure the safety of the site, according to the Russian authorities. The Zaporizhia nuclear power plant, controlled by the Russian army since March 2022, is located on the banks of the Dnieper River, which in this area separates the two sides.

In mid-April, Rafael Grossi had already warned that the “safety” of the plant was “on hold”. And although the reactors are not operational, a backup power line on which they depend is still in operation, which constitutes “a major risk” according to the same source. This line was damaged on March 1 and was still not repaired by mid-April, the IAEA lamented.

The United States and South Korea have agreed to initiate discussions on reprocessing spent nuclear fuel, marking a potential strategic shift in the long-standing bilateral agreement.
The United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission has granted a 40-year extension for the AP1000 reactor design certification, supporting its long-term construction domestically and deployment abroad.
Nano Nuclear Energy has signed a memorandum of understanding with Dioxitek, Argentina’s only uranium supplier for nuclear fuel, to assess the development of local conversion and enrichment capacities.
Stockholm plans to restart uranium extraction by lifting the 2018 ban, aiming to secure strategic supply chains and support domestic nuclear electricity production.
The French Atomic Energy Commission has signed a letter of intent with start-up Calogena to study the installation of a 30 MW thermal small nuclear reactor at its Cadarache site.
KHNP, Doosan, POSCO and Samsung C&T join US partners to develop 5 GW of modular reactors, expand uranium enrichment and build an 11 GW energy complex in Texas.
The US Department of Energy is creating an industrial consortium to accelerate domestic enriched uranium production and reduce reliance on foreign imports ahead of the Russian supply ban in 2027.
The kamikaze drone damaged an auxiliary transformer at the Kursk plant, halving the output of its only reactor in operation, according to Rosatom and the International Atomic Energy Agency.
The four production units at the Gravelines nuclear power plant, shut down in mid-August by a massive jellyfish incursion, are back online, restoring the site’s full capacity.
enCore Energy Corp. has completed a $115 million fundraising through convertible notes maturing in 2030, strengthening its financial capacity for upcoming operations.
Vattenfall advances its nuclear project in Sweden by selecting two modular reactor suppliers, GE Vernova and Rolls-Royce SMR, for a potential installation on the Värö Peninsula.
NANO Nuclear Energy has been selected to compete in the final round of xTechSearch 9, a US Army initiative aimed at identifying high-potential dual-use technology solutions.
Aalo Atomics completes Series B funding, bringing its total to USD 136 million, to build its first modular nuclear power plant dedicated to data centers.
The Malaysian government initiates a national assessment on nuclear energy feasibility, targeting regions facing energy supply constraints and integrating international regulatory requirements.
The merger between Premier American Uranium and Nuclear Fuels reaches a key milestone following final approval of the arrangement plan by the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
TVA, Google, and Kairos Power formalize an agreement to connect an advanced reactor to the grid, supporting data center energy growth and reinforcing the U.S. nuclear industry.
The U.S. Department of Defense has signed an agreement with X-energy to develop a commercial nuclear microreactor intended to power sensitive military infrastructure.
With cash reserves multiplied sevenfold in nine months, NANO Nuclear intensifies development of its KRONOS MMR and positions itself in the Canadian and U.S. modular nuclear markets.
Equinix signed a preorder for 20 Kaleidos nuclear microreactors and a letter of intent for a power purchase agreement with ULC-Energy, reinforcing its energy supply strategy for its data centers.
The U.S. Department of Energy selects Oklo and its subsidiary Atomic Alchemy for three pilot reactor projects aiming for criticality before July 2026.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: £99 for the 1styear year, then £ 199/year.