ShaMaran suspends production after explosion at HKN-operated site

An explosion at 07:00 at an HKN Energy facility forced ShaMaran Petroleum to shut the Sarsang field while an inquiry determines damage and the impact on regional exports.

Share:

Subscribe for unlimited access to all energy sector news.

Over 150 multisector articles and analyses every week.

Your 1st year at 99 €*

then 199 €/year

*renews at 199€/year, cancel anytime before renewal.

The Canadian producer ShaMaran Petroleum Corp. confirmed that an explosion occurred at 07:00 local time at an oil facility operated by HKN Energy Ltd. in the Sarsang field, located in Iraq’s autonomous Kurdistan Region. All employees were evacuated unharmed, according to the statement issued on July 15. Security teams immediately isolated the affected unit and suspended all operations. No official figure for material damage is yet available, but production remains halted until further notice.

First technical findings

HKN Energy said a sudden pressure drop had been recorded a few seconds before the blast, according to a preliminary internal report seen by Bloomberg. Inspectors from the Iraqi regional authorities went to the site to check the installations’ compliance. The field had recently been producing 17 000 barrels per day, a volume now interrupted. No oil leak has been reported, but additional tests on groundwater are planned.

The partners triggered their business-interruption insurance policies to limit the effect on cash flows. Analysts at Wood Mackenzie estimate that a one-week shutdown could cut regional fiscal revenues by about $2 mn if Brent crude stays around $85. Local subcontractors have requested a full review of safety protocols before any restart. The federal Ministry of Oil has not commented on the situation.

Financial impact for ShaMaran

ShaMaran owns 18 % of the Sarsang block alongside operator HKN Energy. The field accounted for roughly 30 % of the company’s net cash flow in the first quarter, according to its report published in May. ShaMaran held $34 mn in cash at end-March, a cushion judged modest by BMO Capital Markets against a prolonged shutdown. Payments due from the Kurdistan Regional Government’s oil company remain subject to frequent delays, adding pressure on working capital.

ShaMaran’s stock fell 8 % in Toronto on July 15 and the yield on its five-year senior bond jumped 130 basis points, Refinitiv data show. “ShaMaran and HKN are committed to applying the highest safety standards and will release new information as soon as it is available,” the company said. Internal investigators must determine whether the affected equipment was part of the five-year maintenance programme launched this year. Preliminary findings are expected within 48 hours.

Next operational steps

Insurer Lloyd’s Register has appointed experts to inspect the relief valves, inert-gas injection system and main manifold to identify the exact cause of the incident. At the same time, HKN has moved non-essential staff to training centres in Erbil, thus reducing exposure to potential risks. Regional authorities demand a full environmental assessment before any restart. Production will resume only after conformity certificates are validated by the Iraqi Organisation for Standardisation and Quality Control.

Commercial crude oil inventories fell more than expected in the United States, while gasoline demand crossed a key threshold, offering slight support to crude prices.
The United States extends a 30-day reprieve to NIS, controlled by Gazprom, as Serbia seeks to maintain energy security amid pressure on the Russian energy sector.
With net output reaching 384.6 million barrels of oil equivalent, CNOOC Limited continues its expansion, strengthening both domestic and international capacities despite volatile crude oil prices.
The Daenerys oil discovery could increase Talos Energy’s proved reserves by more than 25% and reach 65,000 barrels per day, marking a strategic shift in its Gulf of Mexico portfolio.
The United States will apply 50% tariffs on Indian exports in response to New Delhi’s purchases of Russian oil, further straining trade relations between the two partners.
Rising energy demand is driving investments in petrochemical filtration, a market growing at an average annual rate of 5.9% through 2030.
Chevron has opened talks with Libya’s National Oil Corporation on a possible return to exploration and production after leaving the country in 2010 due to unsuccessful drilling.
The Impact Assessment Agency of Canada opens public consultation on its 2024-2025 draft monitoring report for offshore oil and gas exploratory drilling off Newfoundland and Labrador.
Cenovus Energy announces the acquisition of MEG Energy through a mixed transaction aimed at strengthening its position in oil sands while optimizing cost structure and integrated production.
Vantage Drilling International Ltd. extends the validity of its conditional letter of award until August 29, without changes to the initial terms.
Libya is preparing to host an energy forum in partnership with American companies to boost investment in its oil and gas sectors.
Washington increases pressure on Iran’s oil sector by sanctioning a Greek shipper and its affiliates, accused of facilitating crude exports to Asia despite existing embargoes.
Amid repeated disruptions on the Druzhba pipeline, attributed to Ukrainian strikes, Hungary has requested U.S. support to secure its oil supply.
Norwegian producer Aker BP raises its oil potential forecast for the Omega Alfa well, part of the Yggdrasil project, with estimated resources reaching up to 134 million barrels of oil equivalent.
The gradual restart of BP’s Whiting refinery following severe flooding is driving price and logistics adjustments across several Midwestern U.S. states.
Bruno Moretti, current special secretary to the presidency, is in pole position to lead Petrobras’ board of directors after Pietro Mendes’ resignation for a regulatory role.
Next Bridge Hydrocarbons completes a $6 million private debt raise to support its involvement in the Panther project while restructuring part of its existing debt.
Sinopec Shanghai Petrochemical reported a net loss in the first half of 2025, impacted by reduced demand for fuels and chemical products, as well as declining sales volumes.
Zener International Holding takes over Petrogal’s assets in Guinea-Bissau, backed by a $24 million structured financing deal arranged with support from Ecobank and the West African Development Bank.
Petrobras board chairman Pietro Mendes resigned after his appointment to lead the National Petroleum Agency, confirmed by the Senate.

Log in to read this article

You'll also have access to a selection of our best content.

or

Go unlimited with our annual offer: €99 for the 1styear year, then € 199/year.